Translate

Friday, December 28, 2007

December 24, 2007

Dear Sis~
It's Christmas Eve and I'm feeling expansive, indulging in a lot of end-of-year introspection. The other night I watched The Wizard of Oz for the first time in decades which stirred up some nostalgia. I vividly recall you and me as little kids, back in the early 1960's, intently watching this movie for the first time on our family TV. I was mesmerized and delighted as only a child can be over the seemingly magical tale. It was the first musical I'd ever seen and it broadened my concept of what constituted a movie, as to how a movie could be made, as opposed to more traditional films, and I experienced a modest epiphany, sort of like when you first appreciate the difference between an impressionistic painting and one from the traditional school of realism. Now, sitting here on my bunk, some 45 years later, I was surprised at how well the movie stands the test of time. It's still a great film, a grand story with excellent production values and the colors are just as rich and bright as I recall them. Remember how watching this movie became an annual event as we grew up? And how scary those damn flying monkeys were? When the movie ended I felt a tinge of sadness though, because watching it transported me back to those childhood years of wonder and innocence, before I made so many bad choices in life. Back then, before my fall from grace, my future was still bright, brimming with unfilled potential and everything seemed possible. I'd give anything to recapture that moment, to be able to return to that time and take the right paths instead. But, wouldn't we all? If only life were that simple and we could gain the wisdom and experience without us and others suffering the consequences of our poor judgments. My consolation is the assurance that next time around on Schoolhouse Earth I won't be repeating those mistakes ...
Contemplating the meaning of Christmas, a thought just popped into my mind: in the last 2,000 years, has there ever been a Christmas without a war being waged somewhere on the planet? I don't believe so. Will we live long enough to ever witness a Christmas where the nations of Earth are at peace? Another Christmas is here and, once again, America is occupying a foreign nation, fighting a war far away. Our country is full of self-professing Christians, but many conveniently forget that one of Christ's primary titles is Prince of Peace...
Anyway, Sis, I'm going to close this up on a cheerful note. Give yourself a big hug, and give the doggies a tummy rub for me! Let's dream for the seemingly unattainable: Peace on Earth and Goodwill Toward Man.
Love, Bill

No comments: